Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/fpu: Set the xcomp_bv when we fake up a XSAVES area

From: Kevin Hao
Date: Mon Jan 23 2017 - 20:50:33 EST

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 04:53:25PM -0800, Dave Hansen wrote:
> >> The fix I am proposing is...
> >>
> >> state->xsave.header.xcomp_bv = XCOMP_BV_COMPACTED_FORMAT |
> >> xfeatures_mask;
> >
> > Actually I thought about this change before I made this patch, but I don't this
> > is the right fix. It is always error prone to init the xcomp_bv to all the
> > supported feature. In case like copyin_to_xsaves(), it is possible that the
> > features which should be set in xcomp_bv do not equal to all the supported
> > features. Please see the following codes in copyin_to_xsaves():
> > /*
> > * The state that came in from userspace was user-state only.
> > * Mask all the user states out of 'xfeatures':
> > */
> > xsave->header.xfeatures &= XFEATURE_MASK_SUPERVISOR;
> >
> > /*
> > * Add back in the features that came in from userspace:
> > */
> > xsave->header.xfeatures |= xfeatures;
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I think you may be confusing 'xfeatures' with 'xcomp_bv'. xfeatures
> tells you what features are present in the buffer while xcomp_bv tells
> you what *format* the buffer is in.

According to the ISA manual, XSAVES also set the XCOMP_BV[62:0]. My code only
try to be compatible with what the cpu does when excuting XSAVES. The following
is quoted from 325462-sdm-vol-1-2abcd-3abcd.pdf.
The XSAVES instructions sets bit 63 of the XCOMP_BV field of the XSAVE header while writing RFBM[62:0] to
XCOMP_BV[62:0]. The XSAVES instruction does not write any part of the XSAVE header other than the XSTATE_BV
and XCOMP_BV fields.

Thanks,
Kevin