Re: [RFC V2 11/12] mm: Tag VMA with VM_CDM flag during page fault

From: Anshuman Khandual
Date: Tue Jan 31 2017 - 00:13:06 EST

On 01/30/2017 11:21 PM, Dave Hansen wrote:
> Here's the flag definition:
>
>> +#ifdef CONFIG_COHERENT_DEVICE
>> +#define VM_CDM 0x00800000 /* Contains coherent device memory */
>> +#endif
>
> But it doesn't match the implementation:
>
>> +#ifdef CONFIG_COHERENT_DEVICE
>> +static void mark_vma_cdm(nodemask_t *nmask,
>> + struct page *page, struct vm_area_struct *vma)
>> +{
>> + if (!page)
>> + return;
>> +
>> + if (vma->vm_flags & VM_CDM)
>> + return;
>> +
>> + if (nmask && !nodemask_has_cdm(*nmask))
>> + return;
>> +
>> + if (is_cdm_node(page_to_nid(page)))
>> + vma->vm_flags |= VM_CDM;
>> +}
>
> That flag is a one-way trip. Any VMA with that flag set on it will keep
> it for the life of the VMA, despite whether it has CDM pages in it now
> or not. Even if you changed the policy back to one that doesn't allow
> CDM and forced all the pages to be migrated out.

Right, we have this limitation right now. But as I have mentioned in the
reply on the other thread, will work towards both static and runtime
re-evaluation of the VMA flag next time around.

> This also assumes that the only way to get a page mapped into a VMA is
> via alloc_pages_vma(). Do the NUMA migration APIs use this path?

Right now I have just taken care of these two paths.

* Page fault path
* mbind() path

agreed, will work on the NUMA migration APIs paths next. Wondering if
I need to update for migrate_pages() kernel API also as it will be
used by the driver or should the driver tag the VMA explicitly knowing
what has just happened ? I had also mentioned about this in the cover
letter :) But as you have pointed out will move the documentation
to the patches.

"
VM_CDM tagged VMA:

There are two parts to this problem.

* How to mark a VMA with VM_CDM ?
- During page fault path
- During mbind(MPOL_BIND) call
- Any other paths ?
- Should a driver mark a VMA with VM_CDM explicitly ?

* How VM_CDM marked VMA gets treated ?

- Disabled from auto NUMA migrations
- Disabled from KSM merging
- Anything else ?
"

> When you *set* this flag, you don't go and turn off KSM merging, for
> instance. You keep it from being turned on from this point forward, but
> you don't turn it off.

I was in the impression that the KSM merging does not start unless we
do madvise(MADV_MERGEABLE) call on the VMA (where its blocked now). I
might be missing something here if it can start before hand.

> This is happening with mmap_sem held for read. Correct? Is it OK that
> you're modifying the VMA? That vm_flags manipulation is non-atomic, so
> how can that even be safe?

Hmm. should it be done with mmap_sem being held for write. Will look
into this further. But intercepting the page faults inside alloc_pages_vma()
for tagging the VMA is okay from over all design perspective ?. Or this
should be moved up or down the call chain in the page fault path ?

> If you're going to go down this route, I think you need to be very
> careful. We need to ensure that when this flag gets set, it's never set
> on VMAs that are "normal" and will only be set on VMAs that were
> *explicitly* set up for accessing CDM. That means that you'll need to
> make sure that there's no possible way to get a CDM page faulted into a
> VMA unless it's via an explicitly assigned policy that would have cause
> the VMA to be split from any "normal" one in the system.
>
> This all makes me really nervous.

Got it, will work towards this.