Fail git pull --rebase when local merges present? (was: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.11.1)

From: Stephen Bash
Date: Fri Feb 03 2017 - 11:01:55 EST

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * "git pull --rebase", when there is no new commits on our side since
> we forked from the upstream, should be able to fast-forward without
> invoking "git rebase", but it didn't.

As someone who has to mentor new developers to Git at my $dayjob, this
is really nice! Thanks!

Slightly related (in that it's a pitfall of *always* using pull
--rebase), does anyone know if there is a way to make git pull
--rebase fail if there's a local merge? For our workflow I'd like to
tell new people to just default to pull --rebase, but having to add
(and explain) the "don't rebase a merge" caveat tends to lose them...
(yes we mix merge and rebase; it works for us... most of the time)

Thanks,
Stephen