Re: fs, net: deadlock between bind/splice on af_unix

From: Mateusz Guzik
Date: Tue Feb 07 2017 - 09:20:47 EST

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 11:22:12PM -0800, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Mateusz Guzik <mguzik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:44:03PM -0800, Cong Wang wrote:
> >> Mind being more specific?
> >
> > Consider 2 threads which bind the same socket, but with different paths.
> >
> > Currently exactly one file will get created, the one used to bind.
> >
> > With your patch both threads can succeed creating their respective
> > files, but only one will manage to bind. The other one must error out,
> > but it already created a file it is unclear what to do with.
>
> In this case, it simply puts the path back:
>
> err = -EINVAL;
> if (u->addr)
> goto out_up;
> [...]
>
> out_up:
> mutex_unlock(&u->bindlock);
> out_put:
> if (err)
> path_put(&path);
> out:
> return err;
>

> Which is what unix_release_sock() does too:
>
> if (path.dentry)
> path_put(&path);

Yes, but unix_release_sock is expected to leave the file behind.
Note I'm not claiming there is a leak, but that racing threads will be
able to trigger a condition where you create a file and fail to bind it.

What to do with the file now?

Untested, but likely a working solution would rework the code so that
e.g. a flag is set and the lock can be dropped.