Re: [RFC 1/1] shiftfs: uid/gid shifting bind mount

From: Amir Goldstein
Date: Tue Feb 07 2017 - 16:06:41 EST

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:05 PM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > So this would be like the current project quota except set on a
>> > subtree? I could see it being done that way but I don't see what
>> > advantage it has over using flags in the subtree itself (the
>> > mapping is
>> > known based on the mount namespace, so there's really only a single
>> > bit
>> > of information to store).
>>
>> projects (which are the underling concept for project quotas) are
>> per-subtree in practice - the flag is set on an inode and then
>> all directories and files underneath inherit the project ID,
>> hardlinking outside a project is prohinited.
>
> OK, this is what I don't understand: how is something that's inode
> based limited to be per-subtree? The way I've seen the VFS operate it
> seems that any given inode (and indeed dentry) can appear in many
> subtrees so how do I limit them to just one?

Project id's are not exactly "subtree" semantic, but inheritance semantics,
which is not the same when non empty directories get their project id changed.
Here is a recap:
https://lwn.net/Articles/623835/

So if you created an empty directory and "marked" it for shiftuid and all
descendants inherited this property you would be able to check that property
on a per inode basis. Not sure that is what you are looking for?
I guess we should define the semantics for the required sub-tree marking,
before we can talk about solutions.