Re: [PREVIEW 10/10] linkage: add .cfi_{start/end}proc to ENTRY/ENDPROC

From: Josh Poimboeuf
Date: Fri Feb 17 2017 - 16:18:12 EST

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 03:26:36PM +0100, Jiri Slaby wrote:
> On 02/17/2017, 03:07 PM, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:

> >> I tried that, but in many places it is very hard to recognize start
> >> and/or end of a function.
> >
> > How so? objtool already knows where the start and end of every function
> > is due to ENDPROC's use of the .type and .size macros.
>
> Right, I did not realized that we are writing about different things. So
> yes, when the series is applied, we have ENTRY, ENDPROC et al. at all
> appropriate places. We can indeed use that info.
>
> >> Having .cfi_startproc and .cfi_endproc in place makes it rather easy,
> >> actually reduced to "emit dwarf instructions for this code between
> >> here and there". Plus pre-prepared .eh_frame only to be extended.
> >> (.eh_frame_hdr has to be rehashed of course.)
> >
> > Hm, but now objtool has to read *and* write CFI instead of just writing.
>
> That is needed due to inline assembly anyway :/. So the way I wanted to
> go was: here you have code with possibly incomplete (but at least some)
> CFIs, fix the broken ones. Otherwise we would have to differentiate 2
> kind of files:
> * .c files with inline assembly (read-write = update CFIs)
> * .S files with "native" assembly (write eh_frame header and also CFIs)

Have you seen any real inline asm issues? I had been thinking they
weren't a problem, because CFI instructions are only emitted for the
function prologue and epilogue. Running objtool with CFI analysis
seemed to confirm that -- I don't remember seeing any inline asm issues
with CFI like we did with frame pointers.

So my thinking for objtool CFI was:

.c files: read-only
.S files: write-only

> > It would help to see the generation code. Have you written it?
>
> I started writing it and it is complete crap so far :P. Please see
> "objtool: generate dwarf for asm" at:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jirislaby/linux.git/log/?h=devel
>
> And yes, the current code is for .S files without any .eh_frame.

Nice! Does it work?

> Then I decided to clean up ENTRY/ENDPROC etc. first. It's up to
> discussion what route we want to go, but I would prefer the
> "read-write" since we have to implement it anyway.

Yes, that would make sense if we have to do read-write for .c files.

--
Josh