Re: Crosstool/kbuild-all toolchain updates

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Sun Feb 19 2017 - 10:55:37 EST

On 02/19/2017 05:26 AM, Fengguang Wu wrote:
Hi Stafford,

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:44:38AM +0900, Stafford Horne wrote:
Hi Fengguang/All,

I am working as the OpenRISC linux kernel maintainer. Currently in
linux-next our patches are causing kbuild test robot to fail.

This is because the patches are taking advantage of 2 'new' (2 year old)
instrucions (l.swa/l.lwa) and the build robots, as far as I can tell,
use the 'make.cross' [0] build script from lkp-tests.git. These point
to the crosstools [1] toolchains maintained by Tony.

I sent a mail to Tony who maintains the crosstools but I didn't get a
reply and it seems he is not longer working on them [1].

I think our options are:

1. Update 'make.cross' to point somewhere else for openrisc
2. Update and maintain crosstools

For 1. its trvial but, maybe not the best solution.

It's a valuable patch, thank you!

For 2. I created new crosstool builds for openrisc [3]. The way the
crosstools are maintained is via a patches.tar file and it seem a custom
buildall script. I dont see the source for that custom script anywhere.

I am thinking I could help to update and 'opensource' the crosstool
build scripts to make it easier for everyone to update toolchains by
sending patches.

But, I would need access to crosstool on kernel.org and an OK from
everyone.

Any opinions? Questions?

An uptodate crosstool and reasonable active maintainer would be very
welcome. I'll sure be a heavy user. In the past year when crosstool is
not updated to gcc-6, we've resorted to using debian packages for some
ARCHs and building our own cross compliers for the other ARCHs. The
latter are based on Segher's buildall tools (CCed). The private builds
may work for us in short term, however is obvious not a satisfactory
solution.

+1

Guenter