Re: nios2 crash/hang in mainline due to 'lib: update LZ4 compressor module'

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Feb 28 2017 - 12:58:19 EST

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 04:53:31PM +0100, Tobias Klauser wrote:
> (adding Sandra Loosemore to Cc due to possible relation to gcc/binutils
> for nios2)
>
> On 2017-02-26 at 22:03:38 +0100, Guenter Roeck <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Sven,
> >
> > my qemu test for nios2 started failing with commit 4e1a33b105dd ("lib:
> > update LZ4 compressor module"). The test hangs early during boot before
> > any console output is seen. Reverting the offending patch as well as the
> > subsequent lz4 related patches fixes the problem. Disabling CONFIG_RD_LZ4
> > and with it other LZ4 options also fixes it (as does adding "return -EINVAL;"
> > at the top of the LZ4 decompression code). For reference, bisect log
> > is attached.
> >
> > I tried with buildroot toolchains using gcc 6.1.0 as well as 6.3.0
> > and binutils 2.26.1. Scripts used to run the tests are available at
> > https://github.com/groeck/linux-build-test/tree/master/rootfs/nios2.
> > Qemu is from qemu mainline or qemu v2.8 with nios2 patches applied.
>
> Looks like this is somehow related to gcc/binutils. Using GCC 4.8.3 and
> binutils 2.24.51 (both from from Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2014.05) I can
> get a kernel booting on latest master branch. AFAICT, none of the
> LZ4_decompress_* functions are called during boot.
>
> However, using a self-built GCC 7.0 (20161127) and binutils 2.27 I can
> reproduce the problem you see using the instructions Guenter provided in
> the reply to Sven.
>
> I'll try to dig a bit deeper from here on. Any suggestions on what to
> look out for wrt the differences between the gcc/binutils version are
> welcome of course.

I tried the following combinations of gcc and binutils:
gcc 6.1.0; binutils 2.26.1
gcc 6.3.0; binutils 2.25.1
gcc 6.3.0; binutils 2.26.1
gcc 6.3.0; binutils 2.27

I used buildroot 2017.02-rc3 to build the toolchains. All have the problem.

Another data point, confirming what you say above: I am relatively (99%)
sure that the code in question is not actually called. I added reference
counters to make sure that this is the case. Just the existence of the
LZ4 decompression code appears to be sufficient to cause the boot failure.
Weird.

I just hope this only affects nios2.

Guenter