Re: tty: panic in tty_ldisc_restore

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Fri Mar 03 2017 - 03:43:55 EST

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 8:37 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Really? How? Are you hitting this a lot? Why now and never before?
>> > Are you really out of memory?
>>

>> This crashes our test bots a lot.
>> Why now... I don't have exact answer. Probably a combination of fuzzer
>> figuring out some magic sequences of syscalls and increased memory
>> consumption due to something (again maybe due to fuzzer figuring out
>> how to eat more memory).
>
> If the fuzzer is suddenly eating more memory, you should be seeing lots
> of other problems right? This can't be the only thing that has issues
> with memory allocation failures?

I remember 2 or 3 that started happenning roughly at the same time:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller/tIx42qCVklk/fh0qjUboBgAJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller/vp1neyeoA8A/Is8aPdrpBgAJ
Both were quickly fixed.
There is strong bias towards failing larger, multi-page allocations.
so it's not that we are failing _all_ allocations in kernel code.