Re: Hundreds of null PATH records for *init_module syscall audit logs

From: Richard Guy Briggs
Date: Mon Mar 06 2017 - 22:46:28 EST

On 2017-03-06 17:30, Jessica Yu wrote:
> +++ Richard Guy Briggs [06/03/17 16:49 -0500]:

> >>Blocking PATH record on creation based on syscall *really* seems like
> >>a bad/dangerous idea. If we want to block all these tracefs/debugfs
> >>records, let's just block the fs. Although as of right now I'm not a
> >>fan of blocking anything.
> >
> >I agree. What makes me leery of this approach is if a kernel module in
> >turn accesses directly other files, or bypasses the load_module call to
> >load another module from a file and avoids logging.
>
> AFAIK load_module is *the* entry point for module loading, it is where
> all the setup occurs in order for a module to be properly set up and
> registered in our internal data structures (e.g the global modules
> list). If a module wants another module loaded, it can request for it
> to be loaded via request_module(), which punts the request to modprobe
> in userspace to load the module in question, but I'm not sure if
> that's at all related to this null PATH record issue.

Yes, there is a lot going on in that function and by far the easiest way
to be able to load another module, but I'm being a bit paranoid in
suggesting that a rogue module may try and skip some steps listed there
and roll its own, hence the desire to not disable all PATH auxilliary
records for *_module SYSCALL records, but only the filesystem types that
don't pose a threat.

> Jessica

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Kernel Security Engineering, Base Operating Systems, Red Hat