Re: Hundreds of null PATH records for *init_module syscall audit logs

From: Steve Grubb
Date: Thu Mar 09 2017 - 08:25:15 EST

On Friday, March 3, 2017 4:14:54 PM EST Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> > XFS creates them too. Who knows what else.
>
> Why would this happen? I would assume it is a mounted filesystem. Do
> you have a sample of the extra records?

I can't find them right away. But I've seen them.

> This brings me back to the original reaction I had to your suggestion
> which is: Are you certain there is never a circumstance where *_module
> syscalls never involve a file? Say, the module itself on loading pulls
> in other files from the mounted filesystem?

We don't care about this. Audit events have to tell a story. They must have a
subject, action, and object. In this case its "somebody loaded a kernel module
X". Where X is the module name. Paths are irrelevant to the story and just
make it hard to understand the event.

-Steve