Re: Dell Inspiron 5558/0VNM2T hangs at resume from suspend when USB 3 is enabled

From: Diego Viola
Date: Thu Mar 09 2017 - 09:12:04 EST

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Diego Viola <diego.viola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 03:49:19PM -0300, Diego Viola wrote:
>>> It hangs on resume from suspend if I have USB 3.0 enabled on the BIOS,
>>> it works fine with ehci_hcd or USB 2.0.
>>>
>>> The way I reproduce the problem is with this command:
>>>
>>> $ i3lock && systemctl suspend
>>>
>>> This is what I see on the screen when it hangs:
>>>
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6005119/dell/IMG_20170308_095000.jpg
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6005119/dell/IMG_20170307_133928.jpg
>>>
>>> Some logs:
>>>
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6005119/dell/dmesg1.txt
>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6005119/dell/dmesg2.txt
>>>
>>> I'm on Arch Linux x86_64, kernel 4.9.11-1-ARCH.
>>>
>>> I also tried Linux 4.10.1 and I could reproduce this problem there as well.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if I could provide more info.
>>
>> Has any previous kernel ever worked properly before? If so, any chance
>> you can use 'git bisect' to find the offending commit?
>
> I'm not sure, this is my work machine and I've only started using it
> recently (since about a month ago or so).
>
> I will try older kernels and see if I get any different results, I
> will report back in any case.
>

>> And are you sure you have updated your bios to the latest version?
>
> Yes.
>

>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>
> Thanks,
> Diego

I found another workaround, I can suspend/resume fine with `i3lock &&
systemctl suspend` if I disconnect/unplug all my USB devices
(keyboard, mouse, etc). This with the default settings in the BIOS
(both USB 2.0 and 3.0 enabled).

I'm also seeing some messages like this in dmesg:

[ 16.172190] usb 2-6: device descriptor read/64, error -110

Would this indicate a hardware/firmware/power issue?

Thanks,
Diego