Re: [GIT pull] CPU hotplug updates for 4.9

From: Bart Van Assche
Date: Fri Mar 10 2017 - 12:37:56 EST

On Fri, 2017-03-10 at 08:23 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Bart Van Assche <Bart.VanAssche@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anyway, the result of a new bisect I ran is as follows:
> > * good: 631ddaba5905 ("Merge branches 'pm-sleep' and 'powercap'").
> > * good: 80f1b3dea9d4 ("Merge branch 'device-properties'").
> > * bad: a67485d4bf97 ("Merge tag 'acpi-4.10-rc1' of
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm").
> >
> > Does this make sense to you?
>
> The bisection information is really useful, if the failure mode is deterministic.
>
> It would be nice to have more bisection points, the above range is about 5,000
> commits.

Hello Ingo,

Sorry that I had mentioned such a big range of commits. The bisect process
actually pointed out a single commit as the first bad commit. I had not
mentioned that information because I did not trust it. Anyway, when I tried
to reproduce the hang this morning with the commit marked as "bad" the hang
did not occur. I think this means the hang is reproducible most of the time
but not always. That probably explains why none of my two bisect attempts so
far pointed at a commit that introduced the hang. I'll try to find a way to
reproduce the hang reliably.

Bart.