Re: [tip:perf/urgent] perf/core: Fix the perf_cpu_time_max_percent check

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Mon Mar 13 2017 - 14:35:26 EST

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 04:10:37PM +0800, Tan Xiaojun wrote:
>
> > 2)If it is, where we will fix it more appropriate, perf_fuzzer(not set
> > 0 or 100) or kernel(limit 1 to 99), or maybe it is the bug of
> > hardware(too many hardware interruptions)?
>
> I think the best would be if the fuzzer would not set 0,100, those are
> clearly 'unsafe' settings and you pretty much get to keep the pieces.
>
> I would like to preserve these settings for people that 'know' what
> they're doing and are willing to take the risk, but clearly, when you
> take the guard-rails off, things can come apart.

sorry for the delay responding, these e-mails ended up in the spam folder
somehow.

I could add a new "avoid stupid things as root" flag for the perf_fuzzer.

Besides this issue, are there other known things to skip?

Generally running a fuzzer as root can be a bad idea which is why I don't
test that use case very often.
I think there were other issues in the past, like certain ftrace
combinations being known to lock the system.

Vince