Re: Conversion of w83627ehf to hwmon_device_register_with_info ?

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Tue Mar 21 2017 - 09:35:48 EST

On 03/21/2017 03:46 AM, Peter Hüwe wrote:
Hi

On Friday 03 March 2017 03:56:01 Guenter Roeck wrote:
Hi Peter,

On 03/02/2017 04:33 PM, Peter Hüwe wrote:
Hi,

is anybody else working on the conversion of the w83627ehf to the new
hwmon_device_register_with_info interface?

I don't think so.

Otherwise I will probably update the driver to this interface within the
next days - but since it's a lot of work I wanted to check for
duplication first.

Go ahead.

So I'm close to have to conversion done,
the current diff stat is about
647 insertions(+), 787 deletions(-)
for the whole conversion.

Should I try to break it down into smaller chunks for easier review?

Although this would mean to convert stuff from A to B and then from B to C -
otherwise the intermediate steps would be not fully functional.
(since the sysfs nodes partially would exist under hwmon1/ and partially under
hwmon1/device/ (as they currently are)).

or just submit it?

Just submit it. I don't really think a conversion like this can be split up
cleanly.

It saves about 20k in compiled size, so the savings from reduced boilerplate
are huge. (and I think it's more readable)

I would suggest to drop nct6775/nct6776 support to simplify the
code when you do that. Maybe as separate commit, though.
Hehe - I'm testing on a nct6776 :)
I'll look into it once the first conversion has been accepted.

Wondering - why don't you use the nct6775 driver ?

Thanks,
Guenter