Re: git process question

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Fri Apr 14 2017 - 20:15:07 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 17:02:34 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Would it be OK to cherry pick this change that I send to you, which
> > will be based on a commit in your tree, into my development branch
> > where I can continue the work on top of the previous development that's
> > in linux-next and the fix?
>
> Yes, the occasional duplicated commit due to real reasons is fine. I
> get worried if people start using cherry-picking and rebasing as a
> _process_, but if the process generally works, and then there's an
> occasional need to fix something like this, that's perfectly fine.

Thanks for the response.

So I'll take it that the general idea would be to send you a fix based
on one of my commits that's already in your tree.

Then, if new development that is based on that fix, but nothing I
pushed to linux-next, even if I had already pushed commits to
linux-next, then I would just start the development off of that fix,
and send you multiple pull requests (one for the fix + development
changes, and one with the linux-next development changes).

But if there's a case like this, where I have development changes based
on both the fix and changes I already pushed to linux-next, then I
would just cherry pick that into the development branch and continue.

Sounds good,

-- Steve