Re: [Query] Enabling parent device clock from resume_noirq

From: Grygorii Strashko
Date: Tue Apr 18 2017 - 16:06:37 EST

+ linux-pm

On 04/18/2017 01:07 AM, Kishon Vijay Abraham I wrote:
> Hi,
>
> resume_noirq callbacks are used in PCIe core to restore PCI state (this
> accesses PCI module). So the clocks of PCI module has to be enabled before
> resume_noirq.
>
> The clocks for the PCI module in DRA7xx is provided by PIPE3 PHY device which
> in turn gets it's clock from OCP2SCP device. During resume_noirq callbacks,
> pm_runtime is disabled, so pm_runtime_get_sync is ineffective. However
> pm_runtime can be enabled using pm_runtime_force_resume. Now the problem is
> adding pm_runtime_force_resume() in resume_noirq callback of pci-dra7xx driver
> will enable only the pm_runtime of PCI device but not PIPE3 PHY or OCP2SCP.
> Adding pm_runtime_force_resume() in resume_noirq callback of PIPE3 PHY driver
> or OCP2SCP driver will not help if the resume_noirq callbacks in PIP3PHY driver
> and OCP2SCP driver are invoked after the resume_noirq of pci-dra7xx driver.
>
> How to enable the pm_runtime of parent devices in resume_noirq callback? Does
> existing pm_runtime framework has support for that?

Most probably you've hit the issue described in [1].
In general, if pci-dra7xx is consumer of PIPE3 PHY device and
PIPE3 PHY device is child of OCP2SCP then suspend/resume order should be
- pci-dra7xx
- PIPE3 PHY
- OCP2SCP
and resume
- OCP2SCP
- PIPE3 PHY
- pci-dra7xx
and in this case pm_runtime_force_x() might work.

Hence, approach [1] was not accepted (personally I still like it) and
"Functional dependencies tracking support" was introduced instead by commit 9ed9895 [2]
you can try it.

But, as per code, I'm not sure that Functional dependencies properly tracked in
pm_runtime_force_x() functions.

PS: you can try to reorder device's nodes in DT and place PCI node after "ocp2scp" :P

[1] "driver core: Ensure proper suspend/resume ordering"
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/7153201/
[2] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9404547/
--
regards,