Re: [RFC 0/8] Copy Offload with Peer-to-Peer PCI Memory

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Tue Apr 18 2017 - 19:04:16 EST

On 18/04/17 04:24 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Try and write a stacked map_sg function like you describe and you will
> see how horrible it quickly becomes.

Yes, unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement completely.

> Since dma mapping is a performance path we must be careful not to
> create intrinsic inefficiencies with otherwise nice layering :)

Yeah, I'm also personally thinking your proposal is the way to go as
well. Dan's injected ops suggestion is interesting but I can't see how
it solves the issue completely. Your proposal is the only one that seems
to be complete to me. It just has a few minor pain points which I've
already described but are likely manageable and less than the pain
stacked dma_ops creates.

Logan