Re: [RFC 2/4] Deactivate mmap_sem assert

From: Laurent Dufour
Date: Wed Apr 19 2017 - 09:46:04 EST

On 19/04/2017 14:30, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 02:18:25PM +0200, Laurent Dufour wrote:
>> When mmap_sem will be moved to a range lock, some assertion done in
>> the code are no more valid, like the one ensuring mmap_sem is held.
>>

> Why are they no longer valid?

I didn't explain that very well..

When using a range lock we can't check that the lock is simply held, but
if the range we are interesting on is locked or not.

As I mentioned this patch will have to be reverted / reviewed once the
range lock is providing dedicated APIs, but some check might be
difficult to adapt to a range.