Re: [RFC 0/8] Copy Offload with Peer-to-Peer PCI Memory

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Wed Apr 19 2017 - 12:49:16 EST

On 19/04/17 09:55 AM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> I was thinking only this one would be supported with a core code
> helper..

Pivoting slightly: I was looking at how HMM uses ZONE_DEVICE. They add a
type flag to the dev_pagemap structure which would be very useful to us.
We could add another MEMORY_DEVICE_P2P type to distinguish p2p pages.
Then, potentially, we could add a dma_map callback to the structure
(possibly unioned with an hmm field). The dev_ops providers would then
just need to do something like this (enclosed in a helper):

if (is_zone_device_page(page)) {
pgmap = get_dev_pagemap(page_to_pfn(page));
if (!pgmap || pgmap->type != MEMORY_DEVICE_P2P ||
!pgmap->dma_map)
return 0;

dma_addr = pgmap->dma_map(dev, pgmap->dev, page);
put_dev_pagemap(pgmap);
if (!dma_addr)
return 0;
}

The pci_enable_p2p_bar function would then just need to call
devm_memremap_pages with the dma_map callback set to a function that
does the segment check and the offset calculation.

Thoughts?

@Jerome: my feedback to you would be that your patch assumes all users
of devm_memremap_pages are MEMORY_DEVICE_PERSISTENT. It would be more
useful if it was generic. My suggestion would be to have the caller
allocate the dev_pagemap structure, populate it and pass it into
devm_memremap_pages. Given that pretty much everything in that structure
are already arguments to that function, I feel like this makes sense.
This should also help to unify hmm_devmem_pages_create and
devm_memremap_pages which look very similar to each other.

Logan