Re: Question on the five-level page table support patches

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Apr 24 2017 - 09:03:30 EST

> Can you explain what the issue is? What used to work on Linux and
> doesn't any more? The man page is quite clear:

In old Linux hint was a search hint, so if there isn't a hole
at the hinted area it will search starting from there for a hole
instead of giving up immediately.

Now it just gives up, which means every user has to implement
their own search.

Yes I ran into the same problem and it's annoying. It broke
originally when top down mmap was added I believe

Before the augmented rbtree it was potentially very expensive, but now
it should be cheap.

-Andi