Re: [RFC] Increase Minimal GNU Make version for Linux Kernel from 3.80 to 3.81

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed May 03 2017 - 11:42:21 EST

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Masahiro Yamada
<yamada.masahiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From the above, I'd like to propose to increase the minimal version of
> GNU Make to 3.81.

Ack.

>From earlier (uinrelated) discussion, I think we have other cases
where the "minimum recommended" may not be true (even gcc - it might
be true on some architectures with simple configs, but we've had
long-standing known issues with some more complex configurations where
the "minimum" gcc version simply didn't cut it and could generate
incorrect code).

For the GNU make case, you make a strong case of "it hasn't worked for
a while already and nobody even noticed".

Linus