Re: Q. drm/i915 shrinker, synchronize_rcu_expedited() from handlers

From: Joonas Lahtinen
Date: Fri May 05 2017 - 05:39:58 EST

On ma, 2017-05-01 at 11:05 +0900, J. R. Okajima wrote:
> Thanx for the reply.
>
> Andrea Arcangeli:
> >
> > Yes I already reported this, my original fix was way more efficient
> > (and also safer considering the above) than what landed upstream. My
> > feedback was ignored though.
> >
> > https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2017-April/125414.html
>
> I see.
> Actually on my test system for v4.11-rc8, kthreadd, kworker, kswapd and
> others all stopped working due to the synchronize_rcu_expedited call
> from i915_gem_shrinker_count. It is definitly a show stopper for me as
> an i915 user.

Filing a bug in freedesktop.org with all the details is the fastest way
of getting help. Without the bug (and with such little information as
the previous e-mail) it's hard to estimate the extent and nature of the
bug.

I've anyway gone and prepared a patch to drop the RCU sync completely
from shrinker phase, as discussed originally with Chris.

Regards, Joonas
--
Joonas Lahtinen
Open Source Technology Center