RE: RFC: WMI Enhancements

From: Mario.Limonciello
Date: Fri May 05 2017 - 20:52:21 EST

OK great.

> > > Now with Christoph's idea, we may be able to maintain a blacklist of GUIDs and
> > > whitelist of platforms which CAN export WMI, but not export any until
> userspace
> > > requests a specific GUID be exported at which point it is checked against the
> > > blacklist and then exported accordingly, at which point the WMI method filters
> > > handle the rest.
> > >

> > I've been studying more about how this access to WMI BIOS functions on
> Windows
> > works this week and uncovered what I see as another set of related questions
> around
> > commitment to manageability access from the OS with this potential userspace
> layer.
> >
> > On Windows what happens is the MOF data (same stuff exposed by Andy's wmi-
> mof)
> > is imported into the WMI namespace. This allows any tools to know exactly how
> > to interact with the various GUID's associated to the ASL methods. The format of
> the
> > data and the arguments supported are encoded directly in that MOF data.
> >
> > This means that standard WBEM tools are able to interact directly with these
> methods
> > based upon exposed objects. BIOS manufacturer can expose say all BIOS settings
> that
> > are integer to a GUID for interacting with integer settings and those would get
> loaded
> > into the WMI namespace. When someone uses a WBEM tool to modify that
> object
> > the data is properly formatted into the correct arguments for an integer and then
> run
> > through the ASL. Another GUID might be made for strings and another for
> specially
> > crafted lists (like a boot order). The important part is that all settings are
> discoverable
> > and no extra tools are needed to administer a box. It can all be done from things
> like
> > PowerShell or wmic.
>
> Ah, that's good insight, thank you.
>

> > In an ideal world I think this is the right solution for Linux too, as part of this pipe
> we've
> > discussed let some userspace Linux WBEM tools like OpenLMI have access to a
> BIOS
> > provider that can interact with various settings.
> >
> > Unfortunately the MOF data that comes out of wmi-mof is so called "Binary MOF"
> which
> > has been pre-compiled to an intermediate format with mofcomp.exe on
> Windows.
> > The format of binary MOF is not documented and the only known way to get text
> > mof back out is by using mofcomp.exe with some esoteric arguments.
> >
> > mofcomp.exe -MOF:recovered.mof -MFL:ms_409.mof -Amendment:MS_409
> binary_mof_file
> >

> Oh wow. That's... that's just horrible. :-(

That's only because a researcher discovered it too. MS doesn't formally provide
any documented support for extracting from binary MOF.

> Do you have an idea as to the relative complexity of this format? Does it make
> sense for us to attempt to decompile it? Presumably this would be done in
> userspace ... although seeing as how we have drivers using this functionality,
> it would be useful to be able to parse this from the kernel as well. Hrm.

I haven't done any analysis of it so I'm not really sure how complex it will be.
For now I'd say userspace should be planned to handle it until someone determines
A simple enough way to decompile it that can live in the kernel.

> Definitely *not* a perfect world :-)
>
> > So with that said, what role should the Linux kernel actually play here?
>
> Time to level this up. I'll draft something up and try to get Linus and Greg to
> weigh in.

OK thanks.

> > My thought is it still makes sense to make this pipe available to potentially enable
> WBEM
> > tools at some point. At least until a way to deconstruct binary MOF is made
> available,
> > it's conceivable to build a provider from reverse engineered discovery of how the
> ASL works,
> > it just won't be as "pretty" as the type of data you get out of MOF with name and
> value mappings.
>
> I'm not following the "At least until a way to deconstruct binary MOF is made
> available" relates to making the pipe as you called it available?
>
> The pipe would provide a WMI chardev which usespace could open and write a
> method ID and arguments to, and read a response. That is necessary whether or
> not the MOF data is legible. Having the MOF data just means it's less work to
> figure out exactly which method IDs are available and what arguments they
> accept. Right?

I meant that to say that at least for now Andy's wmi-mof driver should still be merged.
If something is going to build on top of this to do WBEM tools, they'll need that MOF
data once someone figures out how to nicely deconstruct it.