Re: [git pull] drm pull for v4.12

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat May 06 2017 - 16:02:20 EST

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 8:44 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i915:
> vblank evasion improvements

These may be "improvements", but they end up being very noisy.

I geta fair amount of messages like

[drm] Atomic update on pipe (A) took 161 us, max time under evasion is 100 us

on my desktop (i7-6700K) and I've seen it once on my laptop (i7-6560U) too.

The commit message says "This will make it easier to find cases where
we potentially miss vblanks." but I'm not sure how that is the case.
There's nothing else helpful in the log, and it doesn't seem to be
associated with anything in particular (I'm just at the desktop,
running a few xterms and google-chrome).

Linus