Re: Q. drm/i915 shrinker, synchronize_rcu_expedited() from handlers

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Tue May 09 2017 - 23:04:36 EST

On Mon, 8 May 2017, Joonas Lahtinen wrote:
> On pe, 2017-05-05 at 14:57 -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > > Filing a bug in freedesktop.org with all the details is the fastest way
> > > of getting help. Without the bug (and with such little information as
> > > the previous e-mail) it's hard to estimate the extent and nature of the
> > > bug.
> > > I've anyway gone and prepared a patch to drop the RCU sync completely
> > > from shrinker phase, as discussed originally with Chris.
> >
> > Is that a patch that will be suitable for 4.11-stable? Please do post
> > it here. I had not experienced this i915-induced hang at all when
> > Andrea first mentioned it, nor even on 4.11-rc8; but now with 4.11
> > final I can get it fairly easily (I haven't tried Andrea's fix yet).
>
> Please try:
>
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/154713/
>
> If it works, a Tested-by: would be appreciated.

Yes, that works for me, thank you.

Tested-by: Hugh Dickins <hughd@xxxxxxxxxx>

But the linked patch seems to be lacking a Reported-by (not me) tag,
a Fixes tag, a Cc stable tag, and any indication in the Subject or
commit message that this patch is something needed to fix hangs
observed by several people - it just sounds like a minor cleanup.

Hugh