Re: [git pull] uaccess-related bits of vfs.git

From: Al Viro
Date: Sat May 13 2017 - 15:17:23 EST

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 12:00:10PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > My point is, this stuff needs looking at.
>
> No.
>
> You don't have a point. I've tried to explain that there's no
> performance difference, and there is no way in hell that the current
> "__" versions are better.
>
> So what's the point in looking? All you are ever going to come up with
> is theoretical "this might" cases.

Umm... Just during this subthread - a couple of likely breakages in
xen (which would need looking into, right?) and "oopsen on alpha would
stop actually printing code", which is better to spot early. The first
one might be theoretical, but it's worth giving heads-up to xen folks;
I'm fairly sure that this spot will break. The second is not theoretical
at all - it *will* break.