Re: [printk] fbc14616f4: BUG:kernel_reboot-without-warning_in_test_stage

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Wed May 17 2017 - 09:13:23 EST

On Mon 2017-05-08 15:37:41, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On (04/07/17 10:40), Steven Rostedt wrote:
> [..]
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 14:44:55 +0200
> > Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I have to agree here. This is 20 years worth of mess :-(.
> >
> > Maybe someone should propose a micro-conf at Linux Plumbers where we
> > can brain storm a way to re-invent printk()? Seems it can do with a
> > completely new rewrite. ;-)
>
> So I've been thinking about it... I'm somewhat limited in budget this
> year and can do either LPC or KS* - purely depending on which one can
> "attract" a required critical mass. From _this_ point of view KS,
> perhaps, would be more appropriate, especially given that it's in EU
> this year, if I'm not mistaken. But LPC has its own merits too, of
> course. LPC's microconference sounds good enough.
>
> What do you guys think?
>

> * I obviously don't expect to be invited to the KS, all I said is that
> I can be in Prague around that time so we can sit somewhere and talk.

I live in Prague and will be happy to discuss printk issues with
interested people.

I think about rewriting printk from time to time. Some brainstorming
might be helpful. On the other hand, I have become aware of many new printk
limits and deficiencies last year. The more I know the less I am sure
that I know enough for making a good design. I would personally prefer
to give it some longer time to gather information. Especially I am
interested into more feedback about the printk kthread and console
work offloading. Also I still do not have enough experience about
how different consoles are used and behave.

Best Regards,
Petr