Re: [RFC 04/10] kmod: provide wrappers for kmod_concurrent inc/dec

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Wed May 17 2017 - 22:37:52 EST

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:02:17PM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 09:08:57PM +0100, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> > > OK I've done the conversion now, the only thing is linux-next as of today lacks
> > > KREF_INIT() so I've open coded it for now. Once Peter's changes get merged the
> > > only thing we'dneed is to change the open code line to KREF_INIT().
> > >
> > > I'll annotate this as Suggested-by Kees and Petr, I did this as a separate atomic
> > > step after this to make it easier for review.
> >
> > Spoke too soon, kref_read() is not upstream yet either, so I can hold conversion
> > over until Peter's work is merged. Peter please Cc me on those patches if possible
> > :D
>
> All the needed kref stuff is upstream now, however, kref is overkill for
> kmod_concurrent given this is just a counter, it is not used to release
> any object, and kref_put() requires such mechanism. The lightweight
> refcount_t is much more appropriate here so will use that and respin
> this series, finally.

And... even the refcount_t is overkill here given even with preemption stuff on
inc we still run into the warnings implemented by the recount stuff right away.
The only way to properly fix this is with a proper lock and I don't think this is
worth it at this point.

This would be an issue if the accounting here was for an object but since its
not and its just a loose estimate for a subjective "reasonable threshold" this
is all just overkill.

Lesson: (unless I hear otherwise)

As such I see no real strong motivation for a change here now. Counters, used
without any object references or any real critical stuff is left best with the
old atomic counters.

Luis