Re: Question regarding RT patches for ARM

From: Fawad Lateef
Date: Thu May 18 2017 - 07:09:09 EST

Hi Sebastian,

On 17 May 2017 at 18:02, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
<bigeasy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2017-05-17 07:45:39 [-0700], Eric Nelson wrote:
>> Hi Fawad,
> Hi Fawad,

> That is something I see for the first time. The description says that it
> leads to this stall but it fails to explain _how_ it got there.

>> > Talked to hardware manufacturer and they applied the patch.
>> >
>> > Still that SDMA is only used for NOR flash and only u-boot and its
>> > environment are stored in nor flash. So not sure if that is going to
>> > help in any case.
>> >

>> SDMA is used for much more than NOR flash (SSI, USB, and sometimes
>> UARTs).
>>
>> > So I would really like few more suggestions OR confirmations about ARM
>> > (cortex-A9 based imx6) (preemept)-RT support/patches are stable and
>> > can be used for final products.
>> >

>> I don't have any experience with the RT patches on 4.9 or later
>> kernels, but do know that they're being used on i.MX6 with the
>> vendor kernels (3.10.x, 4.1.x).
>
> I just looked into a few boot logs and it seems the Phyflex board (imx6
> quad) bootet v4.9.27-rt18, run cyclictest including some tests and
> nothing produced this "unhandled page fault" you mention here. This
> includes the previous RT version in the v4.9 line.

Thanks, seems like RT patches are quite stable for ARM then.

> Of this "page fault" happens on boot, it has to do something without
> your .config + hw combination. If it happens at rune-time it is probably
> triggered by a driver or an application is triggering this.

Yes, this happens at run-time and not always. Sometimes hardware just
hangs/stalls.

As now RT is widely used on ARM so to me seems like it something
related to hardware design/setting OR application.

Another question: Is RT user-space application can make kernel/system
crash? As to me kernel should kill the app but let itself running
_but_ not sure in the case of RT patched kernel.

>> Regards,
>>

>> Eric
>
> Sebastian

Thanks,