Re: [V2, 2/6] tty: serial: lpuart: add little endian 32 bit register support

From: Dong Aisheng
Date: Fri May 19 2017 - 11:07:36 EST

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:04:04AM +0300, Nikita Yushchenko wrote:
> Hi
>
> My view of your statement is:
> - you currently assume only a few cases for this driver - builtin UART
> in vf610, ls1012a and imx7,
> - in each of these cases, all lpuart instances share same endian, thus
> having that in global var works for these cases,
> - having that in global var makes it possible for you to write less
> lines of code
>
> My complain is:
> - in Linux, we are trying to keep drivers generic,
> - in Linux, having less lines of code has never been sufficient to break
> basic data structure consistency,
> - having driver to keep per-device capability in global var is a clear
> case of breaking consistency.

Yes, i do understand your concern and i absolutely agree with the rule
you mentioned.

> >> For me this "special case" looks like "let's break data structure
> >> consistency to reuse several lines of code".
> >>
> >> With code snippets you show, it looks even worse: you assign same global
> >> variable in several places for different uses.
> >
> > If you mean lpuart_is_be, it's not for different uses.
> > The purpose is the same to align the correct endian but in two places.
>
> _probe() routine called for device X alters state already in use for
> device Y.

Okay, you're saying two different types of devices appeared in one SoC.

> >> implicitly assuming that
> >> it is for same device. Which can be true in your current system, but not
> >> elsewhere (e.g. why not having lpuart programmed into fpga)?
> >>

> > Sorry, What issues for fpga?
>
> Connect FPGA to IMX7 based system and program LS1012a version of lpuart
> core into it. Have your console on system UART broken at time when
> driver gets registered.

Well, theoretically it may happen.

> >> Alternative solution could be - have separate write path for earlycon.
> >
> > It looks to me having the same issue with a separate write patch
> > for earlycon as we still need distinguish Little or Big endian
> > for Layerscape and IMX.
> >
> >> At a glance, it is dozen lines of code.
> >
> > Would you please show some sample code?
>
> Do not reuse lpuart32_console_putchar() in earlycon code.
>
> Have two sets of early_setup/early_write/putchar - for BE and
> defaut-endian earlycon. And in these putchar's do not use
> lpuart_(read|write).

Isn't that introducing another consistency break after fix one
consistency break?

If doing that, we then have two register read/write APIs.
One for normal driver operation by dynamically checking lpuart_is_be
property to distinguish the endian difference problem.
Another is specifically implemented for only early console read/write
and use hardcoded way to read/write register directly instead of using
the standard API lpuart32_read/write, like follows:
e.g.
lpuart32_le_console_write() {
writel();
}

lpuart32_be_console_write() {
iowrite32be()
}
This also makes the driver a bit strange and ugly.

It looks to me both way are trade offs and the later one seems sacrifice
more. And i doubt if it's really necessary for probably a no real gain
purpose as the FPGA you mentioned is a theoretical case and less
possibility to exist.

I'm still wondering how about keep using the exist way and adding more
information in code to explain why use a global var?

Regards
Dong Aisheng