Re: [lkp-robot] [btrfs] beeeccca9b: WARNING:at_mm/util.c:#kvmalloc_node

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed May 31 2017 - 02:51:35 EST

On Wed 31-05-17 14:30:33, kernel test robot wrote:

> FYI, we noticed the following commit:
>
> commit: beeeccca9bebcec386cc31c250cff8a06cf27034 ("btrfs: Use kvzalloc instead of kzalloc/vmalloc in alloc_bitmap")
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git master

I have intentionally skipped alloc_bitmap because it relies on GFP_NOFS.
This doesn't work properly when falling back to vmalloc and that is what
the warning reported here says. I believe the right approach is to check
whether the GFP_NOFS is _really_ needed and document why if yes.
Otherwise drop the NOFS part in one patch with the explanation and
convert it to kvmalloc in a separate patch.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs