Re: WMI and Kernel:User interface

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Sat Jun 10 2017 - 06:36:56 EST

On Saturday 10 June 2017 02:46:41 Darren Hart wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 08:41:51AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 03, 2017 at 12:50:58PM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

> > > Just a bump now that we're out of the merge window in case either
> > > Greg or Linus care to follow up with the responses to this.
> > >
> > > To Greg's last point - any kernel state that is built up in
> > > conjunction with the WMI interface could be invalidated by a
> > > userspace application. It may or may not be recoverable,
> > > depending on the WMI implementation. This would be true for
> > > multiple WMI userspace applications as well, and I suppose the
> > > question is, do we defend the kernel drivers against this, or do
> > > we consider the kernel drivers on equal footing with WMI
> > > applications, and say "don't do that then" when some combination
> > > of apps and drivers don't play well together?
> >
> > In the end, this shouldn't really matter, as long as nothing breaks

I have one objection here:

If two userspace applications start to fight and use one WMI device at
same time, then it is their (userspace) problem. In any case (how their
userspace fight finish) it does not affect kernel nor kernel drivers.

But once some "wrong" or "broken" userspace application starts to fight
with kernel WMI driver and kernel driver depends on internal WMI state,
then such application can cause problems to that kernel driver.

And we *must* avoid breakage of kernel drivers by just broken userspace
application. Such thing could be fatal for kernel and could case
problems in other kernel drivers (which depends on this WMI kernel
driver).

I think we cannot accept that some userspace application could use some
race condition in WMI/ACPI firmware to change internal state of kernel
WMI driver which could cause undefined behaviour of kernel.

> > as far as a user notices. And that's the key here, apis can
> > change, but if you do it in a way that breaks something, or anyone
> > notices, then it's not ok.
> >
> > So I don't have a solid answer other than "good luck!" :)
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> Fair enough, thanks Greg.
>
> To all involved. I propose we move forward with:
>
> * Design the API
> - character device per WMI device
> - calling convention
> - platform proof of concept
>
> Let's see this in practice. I hope this proves the point that we do
> not have to filter these interfaces, since there is no clean way to
> do this, and the kernel module is arguably no more valid a user of
> WMI than a userspace application (perhaps less so given the intent
> of the vendor and the mechanism itself).

What do you mean that kernel is no more valid user of WMI? We still have
a couple of WMI drivers and without correct functionality of them, lot
of notebooks would less usable for ordinary users.

I still think we need to some some filtering. Kernel and kernel modules
must not be confused by some random userspace application.

Question about API:

Are we going to export low-level ACPI methods? Or are we going to
implement BMOF parser in kernel and export high-level class/function API
to userspace with validation of input parameters in kernel (to prevent
passing garbage from userspace to ACPI-WMI) like it is on Windows?

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx