Re: userspace regression with hwmon

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Mon Jun 26 2017 - 13:06:20 EST

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 03:33:20PM +0100, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> Hi Guenter, Jean,
>
> The patch d72d19c26c41 ("hwmon: (coretemp) Convert to use
> devm_hwmon_device_register_with_groups") has changed the location of the
> sysfs nodes from /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/ to
> /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/ and that has broken
> some of our usespace applications when we have updated the kernel from
> v3.8 to v4.4. For now I am reverting that said patch in our production
> kernel (based on v4.4) but that is not an elegant solution.
> Do you have any other reports like this? I am sure changing the paths
> upstream will now break some other userspace. So, what can be an elegant
> solution to our problem? or do we always need to carry an out-of-tree
> patch for our production kernel?

The problem only occurs if attributes are accessed using the raw path,
and if user space does not take into account that attributes may reside
in the hwmon directory (/sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX) _or_ in the device
directory (/sys/class/hwmon/hwmonX/device). There is no guarantee that
the raw path doesn't change from release to release; that is what the
symlinks are for. Actually, I have seen the raw platform device path
change over time, so I am surprised that this never affected you.

You might consider using libsensors to access the attributes.

Thanks,
Guenter