Re: [PULL] Docs for 4.13

From: Markus Heiser
Date: Tue Jul 04 2017 - 03:57:05 EST

Hi Jon,

> Am 04.07.2017 um 06:32 schrieb Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

[...]

> At the same time, lots of people run a lot of builds, and while I'd
> love to see warnings about docs failures, I am *not* willing to slow
> down my usual build enormously. I run "male allmodconfig" builds
> between every single pull during the merge window, and while it's
> often parallel with me looking at the problems, I don't really want to
> slow the build down too much. And the doc building is still *slow*.
>
> Is there some fast "just basic sanity checks" that would be more reasonable?
>
> Because one thing that the switch to sphinx has done is that the doc
> build environment seems saner (tool-wise). So now that kind of thing
> would at least be _possible_ to do in ways I don't think was
> reasonable with docbook.

Sphinx has 'dummy' builder since v1.4. I send a patch with a lintdocs
target [1]. Having a lintdocs target under which we can optimizes
linting might be useful at all and the 'dummy' builder is IMO a
good starting point ..

> And now docbook is finally gone. But sphinx isn't exactly a speed demon either.

The time-saving of the 'dummy' builder against the 'html' builder is about 40%.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg13248.html

-- Markus --