Re: PWM backlight initial state assumptions, or how pwm_bl killed my (nyan) cat^W backlight support

From: Paul Kocialkowski
Date: Wed Jul 05 2017 - 06:41:49 EST

Hey,

On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 11:24 +0100, Daniel Thompson wrote:
> On 04/07/17 21:13, Paul Kocialkowski wrote:
> > As I try to maintain support for ARM CrOS (read, ChromeOS/ChromiumOS)
> > devices in
> > upstream Linux on my spare time, I try to test out rc and stable versions as
> > often as time allows. I have been rolling out 4.12 since Monday and noticed
> > that
> > the backlight on my tegra124 nyan big stayed dark for this release.
> >
> > Not very cool, although I'm not blaming anyone else than myself on this,
> > I should have just tested it and brought the issue up during the rc cycle.
> > Still, let's try to move forward.
>
> Personally I might be inclined to spread the blame a bit wider ;-).
>
> Did you bisect it down to a specific patch? An SHA-1 would be something
> of a time saver here!

The offending commit here is d1b81294575098d989be1f2f6bb628091ceaa87b, that
added a check on the intial PWM state.

The policy I'm describing was introduced with
3698d7e7d221a5c90d4b55e96d0c8f98a8b4d7df which did not break my use case at this
point. It will still disable the driver if the regulator was not enabled
already, which I think is not desirable. The policy on the initial GPIO state is
also quite disputable.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, developer of free digital technology and hardware support

Website: https://www.paulk.fr/
Coding blog: https://code.paulk.fr/
Git repositories: https://git.paulk.fr/ https://git.code.paulk.fr/