Re: [GIT PULL] HID for 4.13

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Mon Jul 10 2017 - 14:57:30 EST

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jikos/hid.git for-linus
>
> I've pulled this, but looking at the thing, I absolutely _hate_ your
> merge commits.
>
> They have no commit messages! They look like this:
>
> Merge branches 'for-4.13/ish' and 'for-4.13/ite' into for-linus
>
> Conflicts:
> drivers/hid/hid-core.c
>
> which doesn't tell anybody anything.
>
> Please. If you can't make a message for a merge, don't do the merge.
> Send me the separate branches instead.
>
> Or just write useful merge messages.
>
> It's possible that you're running some truly ancient git version that
> didn't start an editor by default for merges. If so, upgrade your git
> install.
>
> Either way, it's not ok to do merges without explanations. We have
> higher standards for kernel history than that.

Yeah, point taken. I usually have a lot of small-to-tiny topic branches,
where I myself consider even the name of the branch often descriptive
enough; but I agree that this might not be the case for someone else
reviewing the merge.

Will continue with my current workflow and I'll increase the verbosity of
the merge logs.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina