Re: [RFC V2 1/6] cpufreq: Replace "max_transition_latency" with "dynamic_switching"

From: Dominik Brodowski
Date: Sat Jul 15 2017 - 01:14:32 EST

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 12:06:24AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, July 14, 2017 01:11:58 PM Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Dominik Brodowski
> > <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > IIRC it's not just one driver which sets the latency to CPUFREQ_ETERNAL, and
> > > where dynamic switching might be harmful or at least lead to undefined
> > > behavior.
> >
> > OK
> >
> > Still, though, using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL to indicate the "no dynamic
> > switching" condition is somewhat convoluted, so why don't we have a
> > flag to *explicitly* say that instead?
> >
> > Do you know which drivers they are or is it just all drivers that use
> > CPUFREQ_ETERNAL?
>
> Well, after the $subject patch it effectively is all drivers that use
> CPUFREQ_ETERNAL anyway, so it looks like we actually can do a complete
> switch-over.

Exactly. But lets take a quick look at the drivers ussing CPUFREQ_ETERNAL:

Using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL, as policy-setting drivers:

- intel_pstate.c - for the intel_pstate driver, which defers to the hardware
to do frequency selection.

- longrun.c - hardware-based frequency selection.

=> Those drivers are not interested in kernel-based dynamic frequency
selection anyway.

Using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL as a fallback if transition_latency is unknown:
- arm_big_little.c
- arm_big_little_dt.c
- cpufreq-dt.c
- imx6q-cpufreq.c
- spear_cpufreq.c

=> As it seems to be an error case, it seems best to bail out on the
safe side and disallow dynamic frequency scaling. Platform experts might
know better, though.

Using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL unconditionally:
- cpufreq-nforce2.c - over a decade old driver; has a commented-out hack
to mdelay(10ms) after each frequency transition. This smells like it might
be unsafe to do dynamic switching more often than that.

- elanfreq.c - Has udelay(1ms+10ms) in transition path, so the same terms
and conditions seem to apply.

- gx-suspmod.c - works by a mechanism which reminds me of CPU frequency
throttling, but chipset- and not CPU-based.

- pmac32-cpufreq.c - for some models, it sets latency to ETERNAL. In some
frequency switchign code, it has mdelay(10ms) calls.

- speedsstep-smi.c - this case was discussed previously.

=> For those drivers, dynamic frequency scaling should not be enabled IMO.

- sa1100-cpufreq.c and
- sa1110-cpufreq.c - If I remember correctly, those drivers were used for
fast user-space based frequency scaling in the past.

=> For these two drivers, enabling DFVS might be an option.

- sh-cpufreq.c - looks fast, but I have no clue.

- unicore2-cpufreq.c - same.

=> For those drivers, I have no clue. So to be on the safe side, I'd opt for
dynamic frequency scaling to be set to off.

To summarize: At first, I'd propose a *complete* switch-over from
CPUFREQ_ETERNAL to setting the flag "no DVFS" you have proposed. Then, one
might discuss with the maintainers of individual drivers/platforms on
whether to relax this rule for a few of those drivers (sa11x0, sh-cpufreq,
unicore2-cpufreq and the drivers using CPUFREQ_ETERNAL as a fallback).

Best,
Dominik