Re: [RFC 1/2] PM / suspend: Add platform_suspend_target_state()

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sun Jul 16 2017 - 06:36:33 EST

On Thursday, July 06, 2017 05:17:50 AM Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Sun 2017-07-16 01:29:57, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 15, 2017 06:46:26 PM Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > We have seen driver that cares about voltage to his device being
> > > lost. That's reasonable.
> > >
> > > Inquiring what the platform target state is... is not.
> >
> > So why exactly isn't it reasonable?
> >
> > Please use technical arguments. Saying that something is wrong without
> > explaining the problem you see with it isn't particulatly useful in technical
> > discussions.
>
> Deep in your heart, you should know that having enum listing all the platforms linux
> runs on is a very bad idea.

Even so, if I'm unable to explain to people why this is a bad idea in technical
terms, that doesn't mean too much.

I actually noticed an issue with the approach that I missed before, see my last
reply to Florian.

> Anyway, there are better solutions, regulator framework already knows if given rail
> will be powered off or not, and their driver already knows if they are going
> suspend/standby. They just need to use existing interfaces.

So they need to know what has been passed to suspend_devices_and_enter()
anyway and currently there's no interface for that. That actually is the source
of the whole issue.

Thanks,
Rafael