Re: [patch 0/2] add actuators support

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Jul 17 2017 - 12:28:48 EST

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 06:19:12PM +0200, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> From: Jiri Pirko <jiri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I am owner of height adjustable desk and naturally, as it has an USB
> interface, I need to controll it from my computer. Started to think
> about what would be the best way, I realized that I need to introduce
> a new driver class in kernel. The reason is a need to have one API
> for all possible kinds of actuator devices (USB, I2C, gpio, etc).

Why does this have to be a kernel driver at all? Your USB driver should
really just be a simple userspace application (use libusb to have it
work on all operating systems.)

While the idea of a "generic class" is nice, given that there is only
one device of this type out there so far, and it's a USB one, kind of
implies that a generic class isn't needed just yet.