Re: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.14.0-rc0

From: Junio C Hamano
Date: Mon Jul 17 2017 - 16:42:08 EST

Ãvar ArnfjÃrà Bjarmason <avarab@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 13 2017, Junio C. Hamano jotted:
>
> Proposed improvements for the release notes (is this a good way to
> propose RelNotes changes?)

Thanks. You could also throw a patch just like any bugfix/update
to documentation, I would think.

> I think this may explain it better:
>
> * The "[includeIf "gitdir:$dir"] path=..." mechanism introduced in
> 2.13.0 would canonicalize the path of the gitdir being
> matched.
>
> Therefore it wouldn't match e.g. "gitdir:~/work/*" against a repo in
> "~/work/main" if ~/work was a symlink to "/mnt/storage/work".
>
> Now we match both the resolved canonical path and what "pwd" would
> show. The include will happen if either one matches.

Will use this (and some others) verbatim ;-) Thanks.

>> * Update "perl-compatible regular expression" support to enable JIT
>> and also allow linking with the newer PCRE v2 library.
>
> At the risk of advertising work I've done too much, I think it makes
> sense to split this into two separate and somewhat more verbose items:

As I shoot for shorter summary, going down to too much detail in
these entries is not welcome.

However, an exception is the top part of the release notes where we
discuss backward incompatible changes etc. that helps people to
decide the deployment strategy. Encouraging migration from v1 to v2
belongs there, I would think.