Re: Simplfying copy_siginfo_to_user

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Jul 24 2017 - 21:38:19 EST

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:43:34AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Eric W. Biederman
> <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I played with some clever changes such as limiting the copy to 48 bytes,
> > disabling the memset and the like but I could not get a strong enough
> > signal to say that any one change removed the extra or a clear part of
> > it 20ns.
>
> What CPU did you use? Because the SMAP bit in particular matters.
>
> The field-by-field copies are extremely slow on modern CPU's that
> implement SMAP, unless you also use the special "unsafe_put_user()"
> code (or the nasty old put_user_ex() code that some of the x86 signal
> code uses).
>
> So one of the advantages of just copy_to_user() ends up being visible
> only on Broadwell+ (or whatever the SMAP cutoff is).

Guys, could you take a look at vfs.git#work.siginfo? I'd been pretty
much buried lately (and probably will for several more weeks - long-distance
moves *suck*), so that thing got stalled, but it might be worth a look.

The code generated in copy_siginfo_to_user() in it looks reasonably good,
we don't copy more than we need and all copying to userland is done
by copy_to_user() - one call per call of copy_siginfo_to_user(), so
SMAP crap is not an issue.

The next thing I hope to do is converting compat side of that thing to
the same; that got stalled.

Al "Buried in boxes" Viro...