Re: bcache with existing ext4 filesystem

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Tue Jul 25 2017 - 12:11:04 EST

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 01:12:10PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Well... if I move the partition, grub2 (etc) will be unable to access
> data on it. (Plus I do not have free space before some of the
> partitions I'd like to be cached).

Both Grub and Linux's implementation of ext4 expect the superblock to
be at offset 1024 bytes from the beginning of the block device.

>From looking at Documentation/bcache.txt, the problem is that bcache
works much like LVM or device mapper. That is, you have to create the
file system on /dev/bcacheN. That simplies that grub needs to
understand bcache, which as far as I understand, it doesn't today.

- Ted