Re: Problematic culture around Signed-off-by

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Jul 31 2017 - 09:58:46 EST

On Mon 2017-07-31 16:44:49, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:

> > > I normally sign-off everything... because getting patch without
> > > sign-off is nasty. If maintainer gets unclean, but signed-off patch,
> > > he can just clean it up, add his sign-off and continue normally.
> >
> > Yet there are cases with known but unobvious breakage (see below).

Yes, so you point up the breakage in the changelog...

> > > That may or may not be allowed if patch is not signed-off. (We are in
> > > lawyer teritory now.)
> > >
> > > So I'd recommend signing everything, and if patch is considered "not
> > > ready", make it clear in some other way.
> >
> > I think it'd be much better if you could suggest a new marker. Something
> > like "Copyright-but-not-Readiness-Signed-off-by:", "RFC-Signed-off-by:",
> > "WIP-Signed-off-by:", etc.
>
> I use (and saw other people used) "Not-Yet-Signed-off-by:" for this
> purpose.

As I tried to explain, that is problematic.

If I fix the patch, how do I submit it myself?

But you are free to use Subject: [Not ready], or just sprinkle code
with // comments...

Anyway, applying not-ready patch is not something I usually seen
happening. OTOH, not applying patches that were ready months ago is
quite common :-).

Pavel