Re: [RFC] KVM: optimize the kvm_vcpu_on_spin

From: Longpeng (Mike)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2017 - 23:29:39 EST

On 2017/7/31 21:20, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 31/07/2017 14:27, David Hildenbrand wrote:
>>> I'm not sure whether the operation of get the vcpu's priority-level is
>>> expensive on all architectures, so I record it in kvm_sched_out() for
>>> minimal the extra cycles cost in kvm_vcpu_on_spin().
>>>
>> as you only care for x86 right now either way, you can directly optimize
>> here for the good (here: x86) case (keeping changes and therefore
>> possible bugs minimal).
>
> I agree with Cornelia that this is inconsistent, so you shouldn't update
> me->in_kernmode in kvm_vcpu_on_spin. However, get_cpl requires
> vcpu_load on Intel x86, so Mike's patch is necessary (vmx_get_cpl ->
> vmx_read_guest_seg_ar -> vmcs_read32).

Hi Paolo,

It seems that other architectures(e.g. arm/s390) needn't to cache the result,
but x86 need, so I need to move 'in_kernmode' into kvm_vcpu_arch and only add
this field to x86, right?

> Alternatively, we can add a new callback kvm_x86_ops->sched_out to x86
> KVM, and call vmx_get_cpl from the Intel implementation (vmx_sched_out).

In this approach, vmx_sched_out would only call vmx_get_cpl, isn't too
redundant, because we can just call kvm_x86_ops->get_cpl instead at the right place?

> This will cache the result until the next sched_in, so that

'until the next sched_in' --> Do we need to clear the result in sched in ?

--
Regards,
Longpeng(Mike)