Re: sysctl, argument parsing, possible bug

From: Massimo Sala
Date: Tue Aug 08 2017 - 14:26:42 EST

I make another test with kernel 4.9.32-15.41

sysctl procps version 3.2.8

sysctl net.ipv4.conf.eth0.100.forwarding
error: "net.ipv4.conf.eth0.100.forwarding" is an unknown key

so I install busybox :

BusyBox v1.19.3

busybox sysctl net.ipv4.conf.eth0.100.forwarding
net.ipv4.conf.eth0.100.forwarding = 0

It is working, as I expect reading busybox source sysctl.c

Stephen, I test
sysctl net/ipv4/conf/eth0.100/forwarding
I confirm it works.

What is the problem ?

As sysctl, also automation tools and scripts cannot be "netdev names
aware", and so they fail using the usual dot notation.

I don't pretend to change sysctl to read from the /proc/sys/
directory, as busybox does.

I suggest to add a remark to the man page of sysctl, reporting the
difference between the two tools and an example of the alternate
syntax :
sysctl net/ipv4/conf/eth0.100/forwarding

Thank you for your attention.
Best regards, Massimo