Re: [RFC 0/2] Add Virtual Box vboxguest and vboxsf guest drivers to the mainline kernel

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Fri Aug 11 2017 - 13:43:43 EST

Hi,

On 11-08-17 18:32, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:09 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11-08-17 18:02, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
Can you clarify which ioctl interface they agreed to? Would they
only keep the one that the proposed driver implements today,
or the one we end up with after a full review? ;-)

Given that there are a lot of users already using the existing interface
more the former (the proposed driver implements today) then the latter.

But for now they assume that the userspace and kernel module versions
are always in sync, so some small fixes might be possible. Some questions
from me about unclear behavior of one ioctl command have already let
to one small fix. But in general given the long out of tree history
of this driver the interface is something which will be hard to change.

Ok.

I think these drivers should be part of the kernel, but I see
drivers/misc/
as a last resort location for things that don't fit anywhere else.

I ended up using drivers/misc because that is where the vmware drivers
are.

In this case,
would maybe drivers/platform/vbox or drivers/firmware/vbox be better?

Definitely not drivers/firmware that feels wrong (the driver talks
to a pci device), I personally think adding a new dir under drivers/platform
for just the single driver is overkill.

Actually we have a lot of different places already. I wasn't aware
of drivers/misc/vmw_vmci/, then we also have drivers/xen, drivers/hv
drivers/lguest and drivers/virtio for hypervisor specific interfaces, and
there is drivers/virt/fsl_hypervisor.c.

In drivers/firmware, we have a couple of similar things, mostly for
ARM Trustzone based firmware which has a lot in common with a
hypervisor.

How about adding it to drivers/virt/ then?

That as actually my first choice, but there is only the 1 driver there
now, so I was thinking that we should move that 1 driver out of there
and get rid of it actually :)

But as said it was my first choice, so maybe it should go there and then
over time we can move all the things you've listed there (assuming anyone
finds the time to do this).

One issues with drivers/virt is no-one is listed for it in MAINTAINERS...

Regards,

Hans