Re: linux-next: manual merge of the akpm-current tree with the tip tree

From: Minchan Kim
Date: Mon Aug 14 2017 - 04:38:50 EST

Hi Nadav,

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 05:07:19AM +0000, Nadav Amit wrote:
< snip >

> For some reason (I would assume intentional), all the examples here first
> âdo not modifyâ the PTE, and then modify it - which is not an âinterestingâ
> case. However, based on what I understand on the memory barriers, I think
> there is indeed a missing barrier before reading it in
> mm_tlb_flush_nested(). IIUC using smp_mb__after_unlock_lock() in this case,

memory-barrier.txt always scares me. I have read it for a while
and IIUC, it seems semantic of spin_unlock(&same_pte) would be
enough without some memory-barrier inside mm_tlb_flush_nested.

I would be missing something totally.

Could you explain what kinds of sequence you have in mind to
have such problem?

Thanks.