Re: [RFC v2 1/2] virt: Add vboxguest driver for Virtual Box Guest integration

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Fri Aug 25 2017 - 11:07:01 EST

Hi,

On 25-08-17 17:03, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 05:00:31PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
I've already removed all the typedefs and camel-case outside of
include/uapi/linux

The ones in include/uapi/linux are preserved to preserve API
compatibility with the existing VirtualBox userspace tools.

When merging new drivers we need to fix up the user abis anyway,
we don't want to be stuck with mistakes from the past. And the
APIs look pretty bad, so there will be a lot work required after
this basic cleanup anyway.

I'm afraid that the userspace API is more or less a take it
or leave it kinda deal, we can do small cleanups, but an
entire re-design is out of the question. The vboxguest code
has a long (too long) out of tree history and the same ioctl
interface is used by VirtualBox upstream on Windows, Mac OS X,
the BSDs and Solaris, so we cannot just go and break it to
out hart's content.

Regards,

Hans