Re: Allow automatic kernel taint on unsigned module load to be disabled

From: Jessica Yu
Date: Tue Aug 29 2017 - 13:57:16 EST

+++ Matthew Garrett [14/08/17 12:50 -0400]:
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Jessica Yu <jeyu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think I'm missing some context here. Could you provide some more
background and help me understand why we want to go into all this
trouble just to avoid a taint? Was there a recent bug report, mailing
list discussion, etc. that spurred you to write this patch? I'm not
understanding why this particular taint is undesirable.

Hi Jessica,

Does the version in https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/8/7/764 make this clearer?

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the delay, I'm currently on leave traveling.

I understand what the patch is doing, what I don't yet understand is
_why_ you would want to remove the unsigned module taint when
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG is enabled. Which distributions are asking for this
exactly, and for what use cases? I find it a bit contradictory to have
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG enabled and at the same time expect the kernel to
behave as if the option wasn't enabled.

I would really prefer not to add extra code to remove what is cosmetic
and still has informational/debug value. If the unsigned module taint
is for whatever reason that bothersome, why can't distro(s) carry a
2-line patch removing the message and taint for those particular
setups where signatures are considered "irrelevant" even with
CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=y?

Thanks,

Jessica